Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

JOY of Weaving Exhibit

Registrations are starting to come in, but we don’t yet have enough to make the show a go. If you’ve been debating on entering, please do! Some wonderful pieces have already been entered and we want to be able to share them with you. I know we all wait until the last minute but Diane and I are on pins and needles!


Lots of Packing and a Little Play


The boxes for Maryland Sheep and Wool are packed and ready to load in the car Thursday. Hooray!


Stacks of boxes in the garage-in the livingroom, in my son’s room…more details in the next post.


Time to weave! 


It’s a little eerie, but everything went very smoothly – already today I have the loom warped, samples woven and finished and am halfway though weaving the actual scarf.


The weave structure came from an old article in the Weaver’s magazine on diversified huck by Sue Beevers, reprinted in The Best of Weaver’s: Huck Lace. The starting warp was Atiya (30/2 Tencel) and Almaza (10/2 Tencel). I can’t deny it; I’m no fan of sampling and more often than not just plow ahead. This time I did sample. I did wash and iron the sample. I did not, however, decide to use those yarns for the actual scarf. The scarf weft (left) is Empress (60/2 silk) and LE13 (a rayon seed). I’m getting closer. Maybe next time I’ll weave an actual product in what I sample in. Or… maybe not.