Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

London

I celebrated the end of our show season with a quick trip to London.  Thanks to everyone who suggested places to go!  My husband and I had a wonderful time. 
First stop: the Barbican Art Gallery to see “Future of Beauty: 30 years of Japanese Fashion”.  Check out the website for a YouTube video, photos of the clothing or the companion book.

The exhibit gave me all sorts of ideas for art to wear and led me to these books on Japanese fashion and patternmaking.
Pattern Magic 1 and Pattern Magic 2 have been translated into English (Volume 3 is in Japanese only right now).  And then I saw Folding Techniques for Designers… Weaving with polyester? Pin design? More ideas than time!

Of course, you can’t go to London without a stop by the V & A Museum. Three special exhibits were going on –

-  The Imperial Chinese Robes exhibit opened just as I arrived in town;
- The Ballets Russes’ costumes and sets by Picasso and Matisse were fascinating;
-  The Camera-less photography exhibit was interesting - think about sunprinting and taking it another step or three.
The London Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyes graciously welcomed me to their December meeting. There I met many wonderful weavers and had a chance to see the Annual Competitions entries.  Always interesting to see what people are weaving and it reminded me I want to try bead leno.

No trip would be complete without a visit to a fiber store (or 2) of some sort! I was off to the Handweavers Studio and Gallery.  My husband took a (loooooooong) walk around the neighborhood while I fondled yarns and perused their books.

Then we were (both of us this time!) off to the used book stores.  You can never have too many books! Remember A.A. Milne’s Now We are Six? Well, here’s Christopher Mathew’s Now We are Sixty.
Lest you think we spent all our time indoors, we did walk Hampstead Heath, wander the canals and Holland Park. Those pictures, though, are on my husband’s Blackberry (something I have no idea how to use, despite my daughter’s insistence of its ease).
We left London just before the second snow hit and made it home in time for holiday festivities stateside.